Performance psychologist (wellbeing, sport)
What is performance psychology?
Performance psychology is designed to enhance and optimise your performance, wellbeing and success. Our performance psychologist offers a range of psychological coaching and wellbeing services by using a holistic science-based method founded upon sports and positive psychology. Compared to for example traditional sports or occupational psychology, performance psychology offers a more holistic and effective approach..
Performance psychology is for individuals, performers and teams/organisations of all ages across domains who seek to improve their wellbeing, performance and success. Whether you are an athlete who is looking to find methods to train during injury, or a CEO seeking to reduce stress, performance psychology is the right fit for you!
In performance psychology we believe in a holistic approach and that all the areas in your life affect your wellbeing, performance and success. Therefore, during the sessions we will explore various interacting elements in your life to enhance your wellbeing, performance and success; identity, sleep & recovery, lifestyle, environment, mental energy and mental enhancement skills. Together the 6 elements form a wheel of wellbeing and optimal performance. When all the elements are at a satisfactory level you can maintain a healthy balance in life and perform at your full potential.
- ID: To create a sustainable change, we always start with exploring your identity (id), i.e. who you are, your wants, needs, values and purpose in life. Your id is the force that drives you in life, it’s where your commitment and motivation start.
- Lifestyle: While exploring your lifestyle we essentially seek to establish your daily routine; activity level, eating habits and other habits such as smoking. The aim is to reduce your risk factors, add control into your life and in general enable you to lead a healthy and balanced life. Even small changes in this area can have massive effects on your health and quality of life.
- Sleep & recovery: Although, sleep & recovery could be categorized under lifestyle as well, due to its substantial effects this will be assessed and explored separately. A normal human being needs 7,5-8,5 hours of sleep per night and even a few nights on not sleeping reduces for example your effectiveness, attention and health substantially. Therefore, when assessing your sleeping & recovery habits we seek to find sustainable ways to ensure your sleep & recovery is at an adequate level.
- Mental energy: By mental energy we mean your sources of energy, such as your social life, family and ‘alone time’. If you feel like you spend more energy than receive during a day, changes are immediately needed in order to prevent issues such as a burnout. By exploring your mental energy, we seek to find ways to add energy into your life.
- Environment: A large part of your environment is your work environment, as most people spend about 50% of their time at work. This is one of the main stressors in life and thus, we seek to ensure that your work does not drain your mental energy. Other environmental factors we explore in this section are the time you spend commuting, time spend outdoors and the effects of social media.
- Mental skills: Often overlooked in ‘traditional psychological therapy’ mental skills are tools designed to optimise your skills and reduce the negative impacts in your life. This includes working with coping skills such as mindfulness, relaxation techniques as well decision making, goal-setting and peak performance. For example, if you have a sports injury, by using a mental enhancement skill called imagery we can design ways for you to train almost as effectively as prior injury.
How does it work?
When working with the psyche there are no fast solutions and sustainable changes take time. Thus, we recommend a five-sessions package deal. However, specific areas such as presentation skills can be targeted quicker if wanted and one-off sessions are available. We also offer skype-sessions if required. The first session is always 80-minutes long for initial assessment.
Our five-session package deal consists of an initial 80-minute session and four 60-minute sessions. During these we will:
- Map out your starting point (strengths & weaknesses) according to the wheel
- Discuss and teach current information on the six elements of the wheel
- Create a personal wellbeing & performance plan
- Monitor and add on to the plan accordingly to progress
- Assess whether a change can be detected and create a carry-on plan
- Sports psychology
- Occupational psychology
- Performance coaching
- Career coaching
- Life & wellbeing coaching
- Stress & anxiety management
- Injury management and training
- Professional development
- Chronic pain management
- Confidence & self-esteem
- Performance anxiety management
- Presentation skills
- Leadership coaching
- Retirement management (from sports or occupation)
- 1st 80-minute session: £80
- One-off 60-minute sessions: £60
- 3 session package deal: £180 (10% discount)
- 5 session package deal £272 (15% discount).